So the time has come to select colours will make up the fabric and décor of your space. Selecting a colour palette for your home can prove to be challenge. There are just so many choices that you just don’t know where to start. Here are some quick helpful tips to consider when selecting colour for your home:
1. The easiest and most simple thing to begin selecting colours for your space is work off an inspiration. It could be a piece of furniture, painting or fabric swatch that catches the eye. These elements will give you a direction in terms of what colour you would be most comfortable with.
2. Don’t be scared to work with non-neutral colours like grey, brown or cream as long as fill the space with accessories. Let the walls be neutral but add colour to the space with the use of pillows, window coverings, area rugs and etc.
3. When you have selected a colour palette it is always recommended to purchase testers. Testers are small samples of the paint colour that you can either paint on the wall or on large pieces of bristol board. If the location that you are at does not provide testers, you can also take a few of the paint chip of the colour and paste them on a larger piece of paper so that you are able to see it on a large scale. This is recommended to provide the true colour that is to be applied.
Below are two examples of how to use neutral colours on the wall and accent colours through accessories:
4. Look at the colour in the morning, in the afternoon, and the evening to determine if that is the colour option that you are truly happy with. When selecting a colour at the store you are looking at it under different light then what you may have in your home. Light has a large factor in how the colour will actually look in the space.
5. Having the right colour on your walls will make a large change in the space. Colour will create the right feeling in the space, so it is important that you select the right one for the right space for your home.
So instead at looking at the colour selection process as a challenge, have some fun with it. Experiment. Take the road less traveled and discover the endless colour selections that will ultimately set the tone of the space!
Custom Home Interiors
Make a Big Impact in a Small Way: Simple Ways to Give Your Kitchen a Facelift Without Breaking the Bank!No Comments
Renovating a kitchen is no easy task. It can be time consuming and expensive! But, with the right information and your imagination, you can position yourself to save a lot of money for when that big day arrives.
Here are a few quick tips on how to make the most out of your kitchen renovations:
Re-stain, re-face or re-finish your cabinets
Give your kitchen a simple facelift! Changing the look without having to replace them entirely is a great way to save money and still give your kitchen that new feel. It is best that you hire a professional to do this for you to ensure that it is done correctly.
Update your cabinetry hardware
Updating your cabinetry hardware is a simple and inexpensive way to liven up your kitchen. For chic, modern cabinets, try a long pull handle to give your kitchen a sleek look. For a traditional kitchen, try to select hardware with a bronze or nickel finish to maintain it’s overall look and feel.
Add or change your outdated light fixtures
Lighting is a great way to accentuate the ambience in a space. Lighting adds warmth and creates a welcoming environment for guests and a wonderful workspace for the whole family to enjoy. Pendant lights over top of an island are a great way to add that extra little twinkle.
Modernize your kitchen backsplash
Changing your kitchen backsplash from the drab plain white builder’s grade tiles will definitely give your kitchen new life. For a modern kitchen, mosaic glass tiles are a popular choice. For a traditional style kitchen, try a tumbled marble or travertine to give your kitchen the texture and warmth to create an elegant space.
Add new window treatments
Window treatments are a great way to dress up a kitchen and can add texture, pattern and colour. Custom Home Interiors works with the extensive line of Hunter Douglas products to offer beautiful window treatments that are functional and a great addition.
These few tips will help you save on cash and have your friends envying your gorgeous new space!
Custom Home Interiors Showroom & Design Centre is a great place to start whether you’re just at the “getting ideas” stage or you’re ready to place the order for your new cabinet doors. We’re here to help by giving you the right information for your kitchen renovation which will make all the difference in cost, style and overall satisfaction. Come visit us at 2202 Thurston Drive or at 855 Industrial Rd, Ottawa, where our team of representatives will help you tackle that kitchen renovation you’ve always wanted to do!
Custom Home Interiors
You have heard of it. Friends have told you about it. But you still remain skeptical about the very application of it! It’s Home Staging!
DID YOU KNOW? Research shows that a staged home will not only sell faster, but for more money.
“Home staging is preparing a home for the real estate market by making all necessary repairs and creating a neutral environment that anyone can visualize living in”. – HGTV
One of the most important things to remember when thinking about staging is – Staging is NOT decorating. It is the exact opposite of decorating (or de-decorating as I like to call it). A professional stager will come into your home with an objective eye and inform you what appeals to the current market. If you’re still living in the space, they will make suggestions as to what needs to be removed from the room and what pictures need to come down.
Property Stylist and CEO of Capital Home Staging and Design, Kristy Morrison, is an expert in helping her clients get their homes ready to go on the market. Kristy shared some pretty interesting facts with me:
- 90% of buyers can NOT envision the potential of the space
- 86% of buyers are willing to spend a little more money on a home that is “move in ready”
- Staged homes sell 50% faster and typically for 6-30% MORE money!
Which living room would you rather be in?
So, what does home staging and Custom Home Interiors have in common? This is for all you stagers, real estate agents and home owners looking to put their place on the market…
Custom Home Interiors is developing a Home Staging Program!
The best part is, we are going to have tonnes of items for RENT! What do you need to finish off the living room? Artwork? Table Lamps? You don’t need to go and buy those things. Just use ours until your home is sold! We have rows upon rows of accessories, walls full of artwork and even some fibreboard furniture… more about that really cool product in my next blog post.
From the very basics where you’re staging a home and need an artificial plant or a bar height table, we will guide you through every step of the process and ensure that your home looks it’s best for a sale.
By Mandalyn Goodall
Mandalyn@customhomeinteriors.caTags: builders, Capital Home Staging & design, CHI, Custom Home Interiors, decorate, decorating, design, Home, Home Staging, Kristy, Morrison, Ottawa, Owners, Realtors, staging
When looking at the four blank walls in an un-defined space, it can be difficult and somewhat frustrating to imagine what the finished product will look like. Getting started on a new project can be a tedious task. However, with the right inspiration, you can make that blank canvas into your own personal masterpiece in no time.
A simple way to select a colour scheme for a room in your home is to start with a fabric you love! A patterned textile will showcase colours that complement each other. Once the appropriate fabric and colour are chosen, the rest is easy. Use the fabric’s colour and style as a base style for the rest of the space.
Belle Maison’s Julie Thigpen (www.bellemaison23.com) put together a “Décor Inspiration Vignette” that I absolutely love. The inspiration behind her design came from the Amy Butler fabric (Nigella Twill Water Lotus Forest) at the top left.
Resources: 1) Fabric Amy Butler Nigella Twill Water Lotus Forest – $14.98/yd; 2) Devon Mirror – $149; 3) Santee Sioux Pillow – $54; 4) Gold Festival Pillow – $128; 5) Jasper Table Lamp – $535; 6) Cinchwaist Iron/Glass Table (Arteriors Home); 7)Savoir Chair in Sangria Fabric – $899; 8) Jacqui White Chest – $1,525
In terms of some tips and key points to keep in mind, remember the following:
- When dealing with large furniture pieces such as the sofa, they are best upholstered in light, muted tones.
- Select a neutral hue from the palette of colours and punch it up with a bold colour on an accent chair with throw pillows in a selected patterned fabric.
- Another neutral hue in the fabric is often great for wall colour. Whether it’s rich or muted, this colour will translate well into a large area as it is neutral and will showcase unique items in the room.
- A classic chair can be brought to life using a bold colour from the fabric, such as hot pink or peacock blue just as Belle Maison did.
Don’t be afraid to be creative and experiment! Colour and pattern will bring other elements of the space to life. Mix and match to create a room that defines you and expresses your personality. Discover the hidden potential your space has to offer, based on one simple fabric!
By Kiersten Lowden
Custom Home Interiors
Ever had one of those nights where you just wanted to get to bed? But you had a million different things to turn off and it just felt as if you didn’t care that the energy bill was going to run up because you left everything on???
Well, there is a solution. The answer lies in the form of “Control 4 Home Automation“. Play the video below and discover how you can make your life, a heck of a lot easier!
What are the benefits of Home Automation?
Impress our guests or simply enjoy the comfort of having a fully integrated home theatre where you can experience the feel of a movie theatre in your own home.
2. Safety & Security
Going beyond the call of duty of traditional alarm systems, a control 4 security system will enable all indoor lighting, in the event of a robbery. In addition, occupants will also be warned in the event of a gas-leak or water -leak.
3. A convenient lifestyle
Control almost every electrical device with a single touch-pad or remote control. Enjoy the possibilities of having mutli-zone audio, where different types of music can be played in different areas of the home.
4. Energy Efficiency
Lighting levels and temperature is also an integral feature of Control 4. Lighting and temperature can be adjusted automatically, based on room occupancy and the weather.
Discover a world of possibilities with Control 4 Home Automation system. Contact a Custom Home Interiors representative at 613-248-1244 for more information or visit or www.control4.comTags: 4, CHI, control, control4, Custom Home Interiors, customhomeinteriors, decorate, design, designers desk, home automation, interior, interior decorating, interior design